Inspire. Educate. Enrich in Music.
MusicFest Canada is celebrating its 41stannual festival at the University of Toronto in downtown Toronto. Hosted by the Faculty of Music at the Edward Johnson Building and Victoria University, May 13-18, 2013. During the week-long event MusicFest "The Nationals" will bring together more than 10,000 of Canada's finest young musicians in 300 ensembles. They will represent their schools and communities and will perform for national recognition. During the Festival, MusicFest will present concerts and miniconcerts featuring guest artists from all over the world.
Adjudicated performances are open to the public
All adjudicated ensemble performances (Stages A, B, C & D) are open to the general public, free of charge. Spectators are encouraged to come and hear the finest young musicians in Canada. View the performance schedule.
- The world renowned Eastman Wind Ensemble, considered one of the best Wind Ensemble in the world, under the direction of Dr. Mark Scatterday. Joining the Eastman Wind Ensemble will be Canada's finest percussion ensemble, NEXUS, sponsored by Adams Percussion.
- The Toronto Symphony Orchestra under the direction of guest conductor Maestro Giancarlo Guerrero and featuring Pianist, Kirill Gerstein
- The legendary Swingle Singers. Uniquely bringing together the worlds of classical choral music and vocal jazz.
- The Dave Young & Terry Promane Big Band sponsored by the U of T Faculty of Music.
- The Humber Studio Jazz Ensemble, directed by Denny Christianson, sponsored by Humber College.
- NEW! The Ellison Canadian Honour Choir directed by Scott Liethead. Sponsored by Ellison Travel and Tours
- The National Youth Combo, directed by Kirk MacDonald, sponsored by Humber College Music.
- NEW! The Canadian String Orchestra under the direction of Michael Gilbert and Wayne Toews
- NEW! The 1st Annual Canadian Percussion Ensemble Showcase "Celebrate the Art of Percussion" with $7,500 in prizes and awards, performance by NEXUS and DuO Sponsored by Pearl Drums, , Adams Percussion, Erikson, Woodshed Percussion and Dream Cymbals and Gongs.
- Up to $100,000 in scholarships including new awards from Jazz Education Network (JEN), Conn-Selmer Centerstage, Ellison Travel and Tours, Adams Percussion, Pearl Drums and Dream Cymbals and Gongs.
- Daily workshops and sections with professional musicians including flautist Jeff Pelletier (Pearl Flutes), Vito Rezza (Pearl Drums), Kirk MacDonald, (Humber College Music) and many more yet to be confirmed.
An Invitation Only Event
MusicFest is an "Invitation Only" event. Outstanding ensembles are invited by attending and being awarded an Invitation from one of the Affiliated Festivals or through a Festival Chairman. For more information about the Festival, click on Directors.
Goals and Objectives
The objectives of MusicFest Canada are:
- To provide an opportunity for students and educators from across Canada and elsewhere to meet and to demonstrate and to share their musical achievements and creativity.
- To evaluate and reflect on musical achievement and creativity in a constructive and educationally focused way.
- To encourage the study and performance of music written and arranged by Canadian composers.
- To complement and enhance the teaching, learning and growing process.
- To foster and promote a lifelong interest in music as a basic human experience.